To make dairy products low fat, it’s not enough to remove the fat. You then have to go to great lengths to preserve the body or creamy texture by working in all kinds of food additives. In the case of low-fat or skim milk, that usually means adding powdered milk. But powdered milk contains oxidized cholesterol, which scientists believe is much worse for your arteries than ordinary cholesterol, so food makers sometimes compensate by adding antioxidants, further complicating what had been a simple one-ingredient whole food. Also, removing the fat makes it that much harder for your body to absorb the fat-soluble vitamins that are one of the reasons to drink milk in the first place. – Michael Pollen
If you currently eat low-fat or non-fat dairy products, you are going to want to switch to the full-fat unsweetened versions. When the fat is removed from dairy products, like milk, some of the beneficial nutrients are lost with the fat as well…and the resulting product doesn’t taste very good…so the food manufacturers will then add sugar and artificial sweeteners to make the food palatable again.
Full-fat and unsweetened dairy products such as milk, yogurt, eggs, cheese and butter are actually REAL food! When possible, purchase organic and pasture-raised options. Milk from pastured cows contains more omega-3’s and more of vitamins A and E. Eggs from pastured hens have less saturated fat, less cholesterol, double the omega-3’s (health-promoting fats), three times the vitamin D, and substantially more vitamin A and E than factory-farmed eggs.
A study published in 2015 in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition supports that a diet containing full-fat dairy is good for the heart. In the study's three-week trial, researchers compared people on a low-fat-dairy diet to those on a high-fat one. The high-fat group experienced a decrease in triglyceride levels, and the low-fat group experienced a drop in “bad” LDL cholesterol. However, people eating full-fat dairy didn’t experience a rise in LDL cholesterol, and the low-fat group noticed a drop in beneficial HDL cholesterol.
While eating full-fat dairy is recommended on a clean eating regimen, it is also very important not to forget that 80% of what you eat should be plant-based. That leaves just 20% for animal-based products...including full-fat dairy. So, it's one of those in moderation items.
Missed our other Getting REAL blog posts? Check them out here...